Rewrites keep happening?

Topics: User Forum
Aug 28, 2006 at 3:42 PM
A User writes:

Great program! I got my config file to the point that I can have a browser request '' where these are in my database and my index.asp will display WELCOME FNAME LNAME. My problem is, if after that the user clicks on a link 'Contact' the result is 'fname/contact.asp does not have a page' or something like that. So, it continues to rewrite every request. I tried placing the L at the end of the script but it doesn't seem to function. Here's my code:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^/(.).(.)/(.*) /render.asp?fname=$1&lname=$2&page=$3 L

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Aug 28, 2006 at 3:43 PM
Maybe you have a misunderstanding. The L flag does not tell IIRF to stop rewriting future requests from the same browser. the L flag tells IIRF to stop rewriting the current request. Future requests from the same browser will be go through the rewriting process via IIRF, according to the rules you've set up.

There's a new "in development" version that supports flags like -f and -d in a RewriteCond, where you can detect if a file or directory exists. This may be a way to distinguish which requests should be rewritten and which not. For example, if it is a valid registered user on your site, then maybe you rewrite the URL. If it is not a valid registered user (indicated by the file c:\wwwroot\lastname\firstname not existing) then maybe you rewrite to a 404 error page or something.

The version is 1.2.10h - it is available for download at

Not fully tested yet though.