Filter will not start under IIS6

Topics: User Forum
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:05 PM
OS version: 2003 Standard SP1
IIRF version: 1.2.12b

Steps taken to install:
1) Copy the .dll and the .ini file to %WINDIR%\system32\inetsrv
2) Allow the IUSR and IWAM accounts full control of C:\Temp
3) Open the IIS admin console, expand the computer, right click on web sites, and click properties
4) Click the ISAPI Filters tab, click Add
5) Enter "Ionic Rewriter" in the Filter Name field and browse to the path of the DLL. Click OK and OK again
6) Open the CLI and type net stop iisadmin /Y
7) Restart the services
8) Open the IIS console, expand computer, right click on Web Sites and click properties

Ionic Rewriter is in the list but there is neither a red or green arrow and the Priority is * Unknown *. Is there something else I am missing?
Jul 21, 2007 at 1:26 AM
You also have to allow it in the web extensions - check out the readme.

I am have a similar problem - I used 1.2.12c as it is the latest release - I still get UNKNOWN but the filter works fine. I am sure recompiling with release build would fix it but getting hold of good source is impossible - so much for MPL and GNU.

Xinj.
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM
what does it mean getting hold of good source is impossible ?

if you want me to build a release build, I can do that for you.

What do you mean "I still get UNKNOWN" ?
Jul 23, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2007 at 8:44 PM
xinj,
I forgot to include that in my write up. I had already allowed this in my web extension configuration but things still do not work.

Cheeso,
Am I missing anything here? I really do not know why this thing will not work correctly under IIS6? Do you know of a web site with specific instructions for setting up under IIS6?

Thanks!
Gary
Jul 25, 2007 at 8:57 PM
Edited Jul 25, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Hmmm I have two IIS6 servers. Version 1.2.12c works on one but not the other. I followed the same exact install procedure for both systems so I am at a loss here.
Jul 27, 2007 at 5:15 PM
Cheeso,

Please don't take it personal - what I meant was it was impossible to get the source from source control and I didn't know that it was not checked in....or that you were the only contributor.

Can you recompile the release build for 1.2.12c - I would like to put optimized dll on production server....but I would also really appreciate it if you could share the steps you use to compile the code including the def files if we need them.....

I have created ISAPI for a high profile site before and i did run into this before where priority: UNKNOWN and the status arrow is missing.....but filter works fine - this happened in debug version whereas release version showed up correctly in IIS.

gdanko - I would recommend you try the following rule and see if the filter redirects to apple - and not go entirely by the status in the mmc snap-in:

RewriteRule ^/some_existing_directory/.*$ http://apple.com [I,R]

I think that the status / priority in IIS snap-in is heavily related to cpu hardware / 32 bit / 64 bit.......but Dino can you build me the release build and the steps you use to compile with debug and release makefiles.....

Xinj
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2007 at 2:19 AM
Hey xinj,
Ok, I will try to not take it personally.
I'm sorry if I came off as offended or impatient.

The releases are distributed in source form. The makefiles there are what I used to build them.

Have you tried building with the makefile I ship? There are no .def files. Looking in the makefile, I see there are a number of macros you would have to set for your environment, and I haven't really documented them. I will include some comments in the makefile to note what these things should be set to.

I am able to recompile the release build for v1.2.12c if that is what you want me to do, but before I do that, I would like to know if you can do it for yourself ?

let me know
Jul 31, 2007 at 4:31 PM
Dino,

I finally figure out where I was wrong in my attempts to compile. I had to run vcvars32.bat to set the command prompt for compiling....then I started getting U1071 - circular dependency exists on 'all'......so i nmake'd only the isapirewrite4.dll.

Don't worry about the comments on the makefile if its just for me......and I am able to compile the release build but wanted you to verify if I need to add more to these optimize parameters.

Optimize=/O2 /Ob1 /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_VC80_UPGRADE=0x0600" /D "_WINDLL" /GF /EHsc /MT /Gy /W3

Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:43 AM
GREAT

glad to hear you were able to compile it.
I am interested to hear how it goes for you.
Aug 1, 2007 at 6:45 AM
I have it working. Server #2 was using a different anonymous user. After allowing him rights to C:\Temp we're in business. Thanks, Cheeso!