Ionic Doesn't Load in IIS 6

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 26, 2008 at 5:40 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2008 at 6:10 AM
There are numerous discussions about Ionic not loading in IIS 6. I have been messing with this for about four hours now and I have tried installing it on two different boxes with IIS 6, but every time I get it configured, I get events saying the filter could not be loaded and the website fails to function.

I read this: and that lead me to try putting IIS 6 into IIS 5 Isolation mode, which made Ionic load just fine. Unfortunately, the instructions provided in the above post, when followed, did not resolve my problem.

What would be the next step in troubleshooting?
Feb 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM
I have it running just fine on IIS 6 - no isolation mode.

You need to ensure that Ionics is registered as an Allowed Web Service Extension for each instance of Ionics (each instance can be applied under the Required Files tab in the extension's properties).

Then you need to apply Ionics as an ISAPI filter for the given web site; ensuring that the Ionics dll is located outside your site's root.

That's all I've done.
Feb 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Thank you for the response. I have actually done what you suggested multiple times and on multiple machines. I have restarted IIS multiple times after having set the DLL to allowed as a web service extension and after properly registering the ISAPI filter. I have even resorted to putting the files in c:\temp_isapi and log writing to c:\temp with Full permission to Everyone just for testing. But I still get error messages in the event viewer that the filter failed to load.

Just to be clear, I really don't think it is anything I have done wrong with installation/setup. If it was, it should fail when in IIS 5.0 Isolation mode as well. However, changing nothing about my configuration, IIS 5.0 isolation mode works. Remove the isolation mode and it doesn't work.

Any other ideas? Thank you!
Feb 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Only other thoughts I have (and they are long shots) would be to ensure that he INI file is proper (and located with the dll). Test it against TestDriver.exe and ensure that it's not causing issues. Maybe turn off logging just to rule that out (although I don't think logging will cause the filter to fail).
Feb 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt that is the problem. I used an INI file that came with the .dll file and the INI file works fine and logging works fine when in Isolation mode.
Oct 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM
I thought maybe my experience could help.

I set-up the rewrite in windows xp under c:/windows/inetsrv/iconic and it worked like a charm.

So I went to Windows 2003 IIS 6.0 and followed the same steps, I got a red Arrow and a Not Loaded Message.

I went to the event manager and the data was 7e 00 00. See:

So I dowloaded Depends.exe and ran it on both machines.

On the XP all looked fine. On the Windows 2003 I could not browse to the .dll's location. So I ran it on a copy of the dll from a shared location and everything looked fine.

As a result, I think in IIS 6.0 something about the metabase gives you problems with a inetsrv location.

I moved the dll and ini to C:/Inetpub and now it is working fine.
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:32 AM
great, thank you.
Oct 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM
I had this same problem, but it is due to security permissions of the IsapiRewrite4.dll not being set correctly, i.e. it needs to be given IIS rights.