URL contains non-ascii characters

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Hey there

I'm starting a thread with a meaningful subject, because there seem to be quite a few threads here where the rules are not being applied to URLs, and people are asking why, then posting exactly the same error: the URL being processed is mangled somehow.

A snippet from my log file shows the following line

{New Url: '˜['}

What is not displaying in this post is the binary character after the {[} character. I cannot tell which one it is, but when the rules fail (most of the time), it is because the URL being processed is made up of binary or non-ascii characters.

Best bet would be to email you a log file so you can see for yourself.

I do not have the luxury of using an ISAP rewriter (like the very good and free ISAPI_rewrite) as my host uses this tool, so I am committed to getting this fixed.

You help would be much appreciated.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM
Ok. I installed 1.2.12 instead, and it's working fine - parsing and rewriting as you would intend / expect. Let's hope my host does not install 1.2.13, as their servers' rewrites will stop working in a hurry.

This is where unmanaged code comes back to bite you - it looks like your "New Url" is pointing to uninitialised memory - I have not looked at the code but that's the best I can describe it. Been a while since I did C or assembler.

Some additional suggestions:
1. make the directory watching a setting - it causes more problems than it solves
2. handle a missing .ini file more gracefully. Took me 4 reboots before I realised the .ini file must be required in the .dll directory.

Keep up the good work and please fix this bug asap - I want to put my log file in a path that contains spaces!!

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:01 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2008 at 1:03 AM
There is an issue in the issue tracker describing this, with suggested fixes, etc. My pretend diagnosis agrees with the other comments there.


Ok I posted a link to the issue but this forum software sucks ass too much to let it work.