RewriteMap

Topics: User Forum
Dec 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Hi guys!
I have the following table of groups/subgroups, witch translate "Group" and "subGroup" to their "codes":
GroupA = 1
GroupA / SubGroupX = 1
GroupA / SubGroupY = 2
GroupA / SubGroupZ = 3
GroupB = 2
GroupB / SubGroupX = 3
GroupB / SubGroupY = 2
GroupB / SubGroupZ = 1
...etc...
and I want to accept and translate urls like those:
mysite/A -> mysite/myurl?group=1
mysite/A/X -> mysite/myurl?group=1&subgroup=1
mysite/B/X -> mysite/myurl?group=2&subgroup=3

I've learned how to translate "A" to "group=1" using a mapping file "Group" that contains "A 1, B 2 etc" and a rule wrote like this:
RedirectRule ^/(.*)$ /myurl?group=${Group:$1}

But... how to add the second value, witch is depending on value of first?
That is, I cannot create a mapping file containing the following:
Y 2
Z 3
because it would be correct only for A, and not for B.
Shoud I create as many subgroup mappings files as groups I have? If so, how to use them?

Any help/hint would be appreciated!
Tnx

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM

There's no concise way to do this.  You must map every pair, every combination.  you can do it with one large map, or with nested maps.

What I would try if I were you:  use the combination of AX, BX, AY, BY, etc, as the key to lookup into one large map.  Something like this:

RewriteMap  bigmap  txt:c:\maps\ubermap.txt
RewriteRule  ^/mysite/([^/]+)(/([^/]+))?$ /mysite/${bigmap:$1$3} [L]

What this does:  It matches on incoming URLs like /mysite/A/X as well as /mysite/A . The second capture group in the regex is followed by a ?, which means "zero or 1 of the previous".  Therefore this second group captures /X if it is present, or nothing if it is not present.  The inner capture group is the 3rd, and it captures just the X (without the slash), or nothing.  In this rule, $1$3 is the key used to lookup into bigmap.  In this example, $1$3 will be either A or AX.  Therefore in your map file you need entries for both of those, as well as for B BX BY and so on. The result of those lookups might be, in your case, for AX

myurl?group=1&subgroup=1

...and so on.

You can also do this via nested maps, but that can be more complicated.

good luck.