Installation failed

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Error on install: Exception {StartlisSites}: 0x800700B7: cannot create a file when that file already exists

I posted my install  log file of my "attempte" to install the IIRF2.msi pacakage in the "issue Disccussion area for this problem of install failing with above error.  I was not sure if CHEESO was working on that but i was looking for some feedback.- i placed my file on Friday Jan. 7th..

I have heard and read great thinks about this Rewrite Module; however it is all hearsay until i can get it working on my 2k3 servers..

If i get a working unit i will donate to your favorite chairty.. (you i assume:)    Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Thanks for posting the log.

It looks to me that the installer is failing while restarting one of your multiple IIS sites, after the install of IIRF has essentially succeeded.  But, the failure to start one of the sites is treated as a general failure, and so the entire installation is rolled back.

If I understand the problem correctly, you have multiple distinct sites that are configured to use the same port on the server. Not all of these sites are intended to run at the same time. But the IIRF installer is naive, and attempts to restart all sites. Although I can't be certain this is the problem you are experiencing, this is clearly a bug in the IIRF installer.

I'll fix that in the installer, and post a new MSI to the workitem.    I think what IIRF ought to do is restart the sites that previously had been running. For that it needs to keep track of which ones it had shut down at the beginning of the installation procedure. This shouldn't be too difficult to do.

After I post the new MSI, if you could run the install again with that new MSI, I'd appreciate hearing your results.  

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Will do thanks

Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 1:59 PM
To: jpitt@bosu.com
Subject: Re: Installation failed [IIRF:241157]

Thanks for posting the log.

It looks to me that the installer is failing while restarting one of your multiple IIS sites, after the install of IIRF has essentially succeeded. But, the failure to start one of the sites is treated as a general failure, and so the entire installation is rolled back.

If I understand the problem correctly, you have multiple distinct sites that are configured to use the same port on the server. Not all of these sites are intended to run at the same time. But the IIRF installer is naive, and attempts to restart all sites. Although I can't be certain this is the problem you are experiencing, this is clearly a bug in the IIRF installer.

I'll fix that in the installer, and post a new MSI to the workitem. I think what IIRF ought to do is restart the sites that previously had been running. For that it needs to keep track of which ones it had shut down at the beginning of the installation procedure. This shouldn't be too difficult to do.

After I post the new MSI, if you could run the install again with that new MSI, I'd appreciate hearing your results.

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I have a new MSI ready for you to try, but the TFS is unavailable, so I can't upload it at this time.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Thanks- based on your last email I went ahead and found the website that was not starting due to a port conflict and I changed the port so it would start- after doing this I was able to install. So you were 100% correct as to what the problem was. It is strange that your software wants to start all sites even if they were “initially stopped”.

Thanks for the help..

Now to configure IIRF..

Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 3:44 PM
To: jpitt@bosu.com
Subject: Re: Installation failed [IIRF:241157]

I have a new MSI ready for you to try, but the TFS is unavailable, so I can't upload it at this time.

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad my analysis seemed to make sense, and you were able to get it installed.

The new MSI is available on the workitem.  I'd like to verify that it works even when there's a port conflict, if you have the chance.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM

OK i used the .msi package you placed in the file Attachments of the "Work Item" and it intalled without failing.. thanks again..

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Great, thank you for the confirmation.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I've tried to install IIRF today on our Windows 2003 server with IIS6 and ran into the same issue. Thanks to this discussion, I was able to find the alternate MSI file attached to the work item, and I was able to install successfully using the new MSI. In our scenario, there are multiple websites with some of them stopped by design (they are only started for maintenance purposes when the production websites are stopped instead). So thanks for fixing so quickly!