The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Ionic Isapi Rewriting Filter ) cannot be found.

Topics: User Forum
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I installed the latest version (v2.1, Jan 7) for one site and it worked fine. Later I added the filter for a second site and added a second INI file,.

All seems to work fine except that the Applications Event log is showing errors of the kind:

The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Ionic Isapi Rewriting Filter ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: IIRF: event ID 3, IIRF: Could not open ini file 'C:\WebRoot\projs\pro\ask\Iirf.ini' (error: 2).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doron

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Don't concern yourself with the message "The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Ionic Isapi Rewriting Filter ) cannot be found."

The description is already there:  IIRF is telling you it cannot open the ini file at the given path.  This can happen for a number of reasons: because of a permissions problem, or it could be the file does not exist, or it could be some other reason.  But, the message indicates the error code: 2.  In this case, this translates to File Not Found.

Do you have a file at  'C:\WebRoot\projs\pro\ask\Iirf.ini' ?

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Thanks for the answer. You are right on both counts. I already figured that out soon after posting. IIRF expects an INI file in each Virtual Directory in the site that has the filter installed. I was missing one.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

ok, great, thanks for confirming.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Is there any way to stop this error logging without creating the iirf.ini file? It appears to be logging this on every request.

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I think you are a different person and probably have a different situation, and a totally different question.  It warrants a new thread.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I also have same error (i deleted some parts path):

The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Ionic Isapi Rewriting Filter ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: IIRF: event ID 3; IIRF: Could not open ini file '\\nas\..........\Iirf.ini' (error: 13, The data is invalid.).

We have installation of IIS with websites on NAS so it is probably security issue but just cant find solition - we set up security for individual iirf.ini file for NAS "users" and "everyone" to have checked parameters (Read & Execute, Read) and file 100% exists (if i paste path to explorer it opens file) but it simply wont work, please help.

thank you in advance,
Sasa

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Perhaps you can try mapping a drive to the NAS path.  It could be that IIRF is choking on the double-slash filename.  Maybe it wants a drive-letter-colon . Try it.