IIRF2.1 failed to install (IIS 6 Compatibility)

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM

As in this discussion

IIRF2.1 failed to install, returning an error (from memory) "Cannot connect to IIS" towards the end of the installation.

After installing Windows Server 2008, I removed the IIS 6 Compatability options, as I didn't think we needed it any more.

Whilst the "Default Web Site" exists in IIS (IIS is running and the DWS can be viewed in a browser), the only option that was available during the IIRF2.1 installation in the "Select a Web Site" panel was "Server-wide". I selected that, but received the "cannot connect to IIS" error during the installation.

I re-ran the IIS "Add Role Services" wizard and installed all the IIS 6 Compatibility sub-options (no idea which might be required).

Rerunning the IIRF2.1 installer, two options are offered: "Server-wide" and "Default Web Site (W3SVC/1)". I've selected "Default Web Site", and the installation has completed this time.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Mar 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yes, thanks, very helpful.

I've created a workitem to cover this. http://iirf.codeplex.com/workitem/30373

Essentially the IIRF installation requires the presence of the IIS6 compatibility pack, on IIS7.

IIRF installation will work fine on IIS6 itself.  On IIS7 though, IIRF setup needs the IIS6 compat pack as a pre-requisite.

You can install IIRF manually on IIS7, without the IIS compat pack.  Also, you need the IIS6 compat pack only for the MSI install (or uninstall), and not for ongoing operations of IIS+IIRF.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

No problem... thanks for the information.