Rewrite Rules Dont come up immediately

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Hi everyone,

im currently using this URL rewrite utility on my server but for some reason the rules dont apply immediately after adding them. Is there some sort of a cache that delays the loading of new rules onto the system ?

What i am doing is adding a very simple rule

RewriteRule ^/myaccount/(.*)$ /index.cfm?go=customerCentre.main&content=$1

after this is added i have tried the following

1. restarting the website that is using the new rules

2. deleting the dll from IIS

but i have noticed if i leave it for a day or 2 it finally starts working..

I'm using IIS 7.5 on a windows 2008 64 bit

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM

The cache idea you had is a good one.  But it is not the IIRF that is maintaining a cache. it is likely IIS, or something in between IIS and your browser. Most often it is the browser URL cache - clear *that*, and retry.

To demonstrate that it is not IIRF, you can turn on IIRF logging, run your request through, and examine the log.  When you see "old" results, you will also see no log entries in the IIRF log.  This means that IIRF didn't actually participate in the transaction; the request was satisfied without going to IIRF.  Which means it was satisfied from a cache, somewhere.

When you modify rules in IIRF, they take effect immediately. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's the browser. I have 5 browsers installed on the machine: FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE. I updated my IIRF.ini file, clear all my browsers' everything, at one point I even restarted my machine and still none of the 5 browsers recognize the change in the IIRF.ini file. My main browser is Chrome so the other 4 browser didn't even have any URL cached in since I didn't use them previously. Now that I updated the IIRF.ini file, even the browser that were not used with the pre-modified IIRF file, don't redirect. So it's gotta be some other cache somewhere.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I found my issue was due to iis. Fuse box
Files were caching extensively and I found the only resolution was to wait 24 hours so now I just delay the implementation timelines around it

Sent from my iPhone

On 01/12/2012, at 9:42 AM, gmoss <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's the browser. I have 5 browsers installed on the machine: FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE. I updated my IIRF.ini file, clear all my browsers' everything, at one point I even restarted my machine and still none of the 5 browsers recognize the change in the IIRF.ini file. My main browser is Chrome so the other 4 browser didn't even have any URL cached in since I didn't use them previously. Now that I updated the IIRF.ini file, even the browser that were not used with the pre-modified IIRF file, don't redirect. So it's gotta be some other cache somewhere.