IIRF Exceptions?

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM
Recently, I have significantly increased the usage of IIRF and have been seeing some issues. The (IIS) website processes are sometimes locking up (staying at 90% CPU usage) and I'm seeing some very weird behavior. Because of this, I've installed this IIS Debug Diagnostics tool from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9BFA49BC-376B-4A54-95AA-73C9156706E7&displaylang=en).

What I'm seeing (from this tool) is that there are sometimes some exceptions in IIRF. Here are the details of this from the Debug Tool:

Process Image: c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Entry point: w3tp!THREAD_MANAGER::ThreadManagerThread
WARNING - DebugDiag was not able to locate debug symbols for IsapiRewrite4.dll, so the information below may be incomplete.
In w3wp__PID__6908__Date__04_19_2008__Time_06_12_29AM__505__Second_Chance_Exception_C00000FD.dmp the assembly instruction at IsapiRewrite4!TerminateFilter+d03a in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\IsapiRewrite4.dll has caused a stack overflow exception (0xC00000FD) when trying to write to memory location 0x00f82e08 on thread 4

I am getting this same exception on 4 threads. Because this website has very high traffic, the Application Pool is setup to have a Web Garden with 4 worker processes.

Seeing this exception makes me wonder - are 4 processes trying to write to the Log file at the same time? However, I have logged set to 0.
I have some more information from the Debug report, such as a dump of the stack trace, which are all calls to IsapiRewrite4!TerminateFilter+xxxx
My MaxMatchCount is 10 and RewriteLogLevel 0

Also - I'm wondering if I need to add the "L" flag to most, if not all, of my rules. I am going through and adding them now....

Thoughts, Cheeso or anyone?
Apr 24, 2008 at 6:24 PM
I'm also seeing this error in the Event Log:

An error occurred while saving the metabase file. This can happen when the metabase XML file is in use by another program, or if the disk is full. Check for corresponding events in the event log for more details.

Does IIRF lock the IIS metabase for some reason? I don't understand how I could be getting this message as the disk is not full or write protected unless some other process is doing so.

HELP! My server is crashing randomly because of these issues.
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Fixed the error in the event log, but exceptions are still potentially an issue.
I searched, but should have searched harder. The solution is here: http://www.codeplex.com/IIRF/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=10123

Any ideas on the TerminateFilter exceptions? Maybe they were related to this locking issue?
Jun 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Can I ask how you fixed the error in the event log? I am seeing the same behavior in II6 on W2K3 and I see people reporting the same error in other discussion threads as well, but no one seems to have a solution.

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Jud, I suggest you upgrade to version 2.0 or 2.1.

This metabase problem was characteristic of IIRF v1.x, which is no longer supported.

Notice that the thread you resuscitated is more than 2 years old!