Running an outside website

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Hi. I've been trying to find a solucion for that but unfortunately I've got no success at all.

I'm trying to access a content on another server like:

In would like to executee the "http://www.anotherdomain.com/content.asp" when accessing my  "content.html "

RewriteRule  ^/content.html  /http://www.domain.com/content.asp

is that possible?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND THANKS AGAIN!

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I think you are talking about Proxied requests.

The IIRF doc describes proxy operations here:
http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/Iirf21Help/html/8f731705-8474-4598-b0f0-e4d67dba9329.htm

Yes, IIRF does proxy operations. Read about how to do it in the documentation for the proxyPass directive: http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/Iirf21Help/html/d9d3d4d7-7b3a-4418-b290-c297b041ff42.htm

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Hi Cheeso. thank you Very much for your reply, but didn't work

I can use in my folders but when i set an outside hosted it doesn't work.

# add a trailing slash:
RedirectRule ^/iirfHelp$         /iirfhelp/          [I]

# proxy the iirfhelp directory
ProxyPass   ^/iirfHelp/(.*)$    http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/iirfhelp/$1  [I]

And tried to access:
http://server:8007/iirfHelp/

http://server:8007/iirfHelp/test

both didn't work

Do you know what could be wrong?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM

The IIRF log file will tell you the trouble.

Turn logging level to 4 and check the log after you made one request that should be proxied.

There may be a firewall issue, or something else preventing you from making an outgoing connection from your webserver.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM

hi Cheeso.

Well..Tks. for your help...but

I'm hardly trying to get it working and have trying to use the example but didn't work:(

I can use local rewrites normally  but when use external it returns a 404 error and doesn't even write in log :(

Does that exactly work for you?

RedirectRule ^/iirfHelp$         /iirfhelp/          [I]
ProxyPass   ^/iirfHelp/(.*)$    http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/iirfhelp/$1  [I]

Test:
http://domain.com/iirfHelp/test

Would that work?
I Really would appreciate that.

TKS SO MUCH

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM

yes, I'm clear on that.  I think you already told me that.

And in my reply  I suggested you turn on IIRF logging and examine the log to determine the cause of the problem.

have you done that?   what did you find?

I can't tell you the problem from my seat.  The answer is not in my head.  You need to look at the log - IIRF itself will tell you the reason for the failure. you need to look in the log.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Hi again!

Well.. I've tried that but when I run the page I get 404 error and log doesn't even write a line.
If I run my local queryes it logs, but when I try to access the one you gave it just doesn't say anything on log?

Could you please make a full example and send me? then it would work for me to know What I'm doing wrong.

tks a lot

Rodrigo

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 05:54:35 -0700
Subject: Re: Running an outside website [IIRF:266242]

yes, I'm clear on that. I think you already told me that.
And in my reply I suggested you turn on IIRF logging and examine the log to determine the cause of the problem.
have you done that? what did you find?
I can't tell you the problem from my seat. The answer is not in my head. You need to look at the log - IIRF itself will tell you the reason for the failure. you need to look in the log.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (IIRF@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email IIRF@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Aug 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM
hi.. I can see something now...

Wed Aug 03 10:25:06 - 14340 - ReadConfig: WARNING: line 28: Ignoring line: 'ProxyPass'

and I have this at this line:
ProxyPass ^/iirfHelp/(.*)$ http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/iirfhelp/$1 [I]

And in my reply I suggested you turn on IIRF logging and examine the log to determine the cause of the problem.
I can't tell you the problem from my seat. The answer is not in my head. You need to look at the log - IIRF itself will tell you the reason for the failure. you need to look in the log.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (IIRF@discussions.codeplex.com)
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Aug 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Hi Cheeso..

Well.. After spend all day looking on internet about my problem. I've was looking at log and got an error
"Wed Aug 03 13:09:34 - 7044 - ReadConfig: WARNING: line 28: Ignoring line: 'ProxyPass'"

I did google it and that has happening because I was using an old version of iirf.. the "IsapiRewrite4.dll" dll

I've downloaded the new version, but I'm not sure about whats going on because the new IIRF (2.0) just doesn't work.

I get 404 error and log file just doesn't even is criated.

I've made a video to try to explain to you my problem;

Video:
http://www.wmb.com.br/cliente/iirf_error/IIRD_ERROR.html

Could you see the video and then try to help me?

Tks a lot

Rodrigo

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Yes, Rodrigo, I took a look.  a very nice video!  It makes things very clear. I have some advice and suggestions for you.

There were some changes with the switch to IIRF 2.x - in particular, the ini files change.  With IIRF 2.x, you need to specify the iirf.ini file in the document root of each vdir.  So if your main virtual directory points to f:\inetpub\wwwroot , then you must have f:\inetpub\wwwroot\iirf.ini , where you specify the rewrite rules .  What you apparently did was copy the old IsapiRewrite4.ini into Iirf.ini which is co-located with Iirf.dll.  This will not work.

It is possible to specify some settings in a "global" ini file, which is co-located with the Iirf.dll.  This ini file is called IirfGlobal.ini.  But be aware: you cannot put rewrite rules in that file.  Check the documentation for the list of directives that are allowed in that file.   You must not simply copy your old IsapiRewrite4.ini file into iirfGlobal.ini.  It will not work.

Also:  you must also verify the permissions on the IIRF.dll in the "new IIRF 2.0" directory.  IIS must be able to read and execute the Iirf.dll.  There is a section in the documentation for IIRF v2.x regarding verifying and troubleshooting installation. I encourage you to check it out.

Good luck.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
hey Cheeso. thank you thank you, thank you.!

you the best, Se what I was trying to do!

the iirf file was located inside a folder(not the root one) Just moded to root and start working really really good!

But not the IIRF is working only if I create a WEBSITE(not virtual directory) so in my IIS, I have a lot of websites, so, for IIRF to work, I need to setup a individual port for each of my websites.

Is there a way for me to keep using virtual folders with IIRF instead of creating websites/ports?

TKS A LOT

RODRIGO :)

Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:26:54 -0700

Yes, Rodrigo, I took a look. a very nice video! It makes things very clear. I have some advice and suggestions for you.
There were some changes with the switch to IIRF 2.x - in particular, the ini files change. With IIRF 2.x, you need to specify the iirf.ini file in the document root of each vdir. So if your main virtual directory points to f:\inetpub\wwwroot , then you must have f:\inetpub\wwwroot\iirf.ini , where you specify the rewrite rules . What you apparently did was copy the old IsapiRewrite4.ini into Iirf.ini which is co-located with Iirf.dll. This will not work.
It is possible to specify some settings in a "global" ini file, which is co-located with the Iirf.dll. This ini file is called IirfGlobal.ini. But be aware: you cannot put rewrite rules in that file. Check the documentation for the list of directives that are allowed in that file. You must not simply copy your old IsapiRewrite4.ini file into iirfGlobal.ini. It will not work.
Also: you must also verify the permissions on the IIRF.dll in the "new IIRF 2.0" directory. IIS must be able to read and execute the Iirf.dll. There is a section in the documentation for IIRF v2.x regarding verifying and troubleshooting installation. I encourage you to check it out.
Good luck.

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Inside an IIS Site, there are Applications and Virtual Directories.

IIRF lets you specify a distinct set of rules for each application or vdir.  If you have subfolders under the vdir, they get the same rules as the toplevel folder in the vdir.

you wrote:

> But not the IIRF is working only if I create a WEBSITE(not virtual directory)

Well - IIRF works with vdirs.  Each vdir resides in a website.  If you have multiple vdirs in a website, then you can put a different iirf.ini in the physical directory that is mapped to each vdir.   if you have multiple sites, it doesn't matter - each vdir in each site gets its own set of rules from the iirf.ini file in the physical directory that is mapped to the vdir. If there is no iirf.ini file in that directory, then IIRF does not work on that vdir.

I don't know what you mean by "I need to setup an individual port for each website".  If you need multiple websites, I guess each one gets a TCP Port, yes?  But that has nothing to do with IIRF.  IIRF does not require that you use multiple websites.   IIRF doesn't care about ports.

I suggest that you try reading the documentation for IIRF 2.x - it explains how IIRF works with IIS and websites and vdirs.   http://iirf.codeplex.com/documentation

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Hi, Cheeso.

It's almost done here!

If I get everything working here, I would be happy to make a video tutorial and send it to you. Then it can help people to configure their IIS ok?

just let me know if you want the video ok?

One more question.

Everything is working now, but StatusInquiry.

Thats not working.

See:

I have no global file. Just IIRF and all the rules are working now except the StatusInquiry that doesn't work.

I get a 404 when trying to access my local IIS:

http://server:8007/iirfStatus

############ SEE MY IIRF file

RewriteLog W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\iirf\logs\
RewriteLogLevel 3
IterationLimit 10
MaxMatchCount 10
RewriteEngine ON
StatusInquiry ON

thats the log:

Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - -------------------------------------------------------
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - Ionic ISAPI Rewriting Filter (IIRF) 2.1.1.28 x86 DEBUG
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - IIRF was built on: Aug 8 2011 02:25:50
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - GetLogFile: app:'/LM/W3SVC/613831953/Root' new log:'W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\iirf\logs\.3888.log'
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: actual log file 'W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\iirf\logs\.3888.log'
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: ini file: 'W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini'
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: ini file timestamp: 2011/08/08 16:15:48 Hora oficial do Brasil
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: cfg(0x01C36E28)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: LogLevel = 3
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(4): IterationLimit 10
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(5): MaxMatchCount 10
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(6): RewriteEngine will be enabled.
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(7): StatusInquiry ON (--) (--)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(7): IIRF Status Inquiry is enabled at path '/iirfStatus' for local requests only.
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(10): RewriteRule (rule 1) '^/cakeapp/index.php(.*)$' '-' [L,I]
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(17): ProxyPass (rule 2) '^/iirfHelp/(.*)$' 'http://www.z100.com/cc-common/access/request.php/$1' [I]
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(27): RewriteRule (rule 3) '^/contrate-agora.html' '/teste_gratis.asp' (null)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(28): RewriteRule (rule 4) '^/perguntas-e-respostas.html' '/perguntas_e_respostas.asp' (null)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(29): RewriteRule (rule 5) '^/porque-a-rede-mega.html' '/porque_a_redemega.asp' (null)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini(30): RewriteRule (rule 6) '^/contato.html' '/contato.asp' (null)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - CountIniLines: ini file W:\Shared-Folder\siteparaimobiliarias.cim.br\Iirf.ini (31 lines)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - ReadVdirConfig: Done reading INI for the root vdir, found 6 rules (0 errors, 0 warnings) on 31 lines, in 1 modules
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - HttpFilterProc: SF_NOTIFY_URL_MAP
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - HttpFilterProc: cfg= 0x01C36E28
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - HttpFilterProc: SF_NOTIFY_AUTH_COMPLETE
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - DoRewrites
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - DoRewrites: Url (decoded): '/iirfStatus'
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: depth=0
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: status inquiry, not authorized. Will process request as normal.
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: no RewriteBase
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 1: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 2: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 3: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 4: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 5: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: Rule 6: -1 (No match)
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - EvaluateRules: returning 0
Mon Aug 08 16:15:52 - 4372 - DoRewrites: No Rewrite

tks a Lot!

Best Regards

Rodrigo

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:21:44 -0700

IIRF lets you specify a distinct set of rules for each application or vdir. If you have subfolders under the vdir, they get the same rules as the toplevel folder in the vdir.
you wrote:
Well - IIRF works with vdirs. Each vdir resides in a website. If you have multiple vdirs in a website, then you can put a different iirf.ini in the physical directory that is mapped to each vdir. if you have multiple sites, it doesn't matter - each vdir in each site gets its own set of rules from the iirf.ini file in the physical directory that is mapped to the vdir. If there is no iirf.ini file in that directory, then IIRF does not work on that vdir.
I don't know what you mean by "I need to setup an individual port for each website". If you need multiple websites, I guess each one gets a TCP Port, yes? But that has nothing to do with IIRF. IIRF does not require that you use multiple websites. IIRF doesn't care about ports.
I suggest that you try reading the documentation for IIRF 2.x - it explains how IIRF works with IIS and websites and vdirs. http://iirf.codeplex.com/documentation

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM
Hi... Status Inquiry worked when set to REMOTEOK..

now.. the list rewrite..
Whats the 11111 above?

I've tried and didn't work.

I thought that when I request by ID, the IIRF would retrive me the Product name, right?

tks

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:21:44 -0700

IIRF lets you specify a distinct set of rules for each application or vdir. If you have subfolders under the vdir, they get the same rules as the toplevel folder in the vdir.
you wrote:
Well - IIRF works with vdirs. Each vdir resides in a website. If you have multiple vdirs in a website, then you can put a different iirf.ini in the physical directory that is mapped to each vdir. if you have multiple sites, it doesn't matter - each vdir in each site gets its own set of rules from the iirf.ini file in the physical directory that is mapped to the vdir. If there is no iirf.ini file in that directory, then IIRF does not work on that vdir.
I don't know what you mean by "I need to setup an individual port for each website". If you need multiple websites, I guess each one gets a TCP Port, yes? But that has nothing to do with IIRF. IIRF does not require that you use multiple websites. IIRF doesn't care about ports.
I suggest that you try reading the documentation for IIRF 2.x - it explains how IIRF works with IIS and websites and vdirs. http://iirf.codeplex.com/documentation

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Glad to hear things are working!

The video is a fine idea. I'll post a link here if you produce it. If you could do a voiceover in Portugese, that would be even better.  I'll post it on the documentation page. And on the front page.

About the 11111 - I don't know what you're asking.

About the request by ID, etc.... I don't know what specifically you are asking here. what you get back from IIRF depends on your rules.   If there's a URL that is giving you surprising results, then ... tell me this: 

• What is the URL you are requesting? 
  • What results do you see?   - you can document this with the IIRF log
  • what results do you expect to see?  - you need to describe this
  • And how is what you actually see different from what you expect to see?  - again, a description
  • what rules are you using? - this is also evident in the log (the beginning of the log shows the rules IIRF has read in)

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM
Tks Cheeso.. I'll do the video and a voiceover in Portuguese on it!

Welll.. the 11111 was the example you gave on the HELP file.

I thought that when I have a txt file, it could retrieve the info of txt file

Like... calling the "17282" , it would returns Claw-Hammer , or some like that?

tks a lot

See where I got the 11111

-------------------

HELP FILE

# Product map file
# It is stored in c:\inetpub\maps\products.txt

Claw-Hammer             17282
Shelf-Bracket           87112
Adjustable-Wrench       35367
Toggle-Bolt             63544
Flat-Washer             23346
Hose-Clamp              52326
Hacksaw                 31155
Electrical-Switch-2way  73625
Power-Sander            45711
Then, use this ini to load the map and then apply it in a RewriteRule:
# Iirf.ini
#

RewriteLogLevel 1
RewriteLog c:\inetpub\iirfLogs\iirf
RewriteEngine ON
StatusInquiry ON

# load in the products map
RewriteMap  productmap   txt:c:\inetpub\maps\products.txt

# rewrite any requests for product info as appropriate
RewriteRule ^/(.*)/Info   /ProductInfo.aspx?pid=${productmap:$1|11111}  [L]

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:50:54 -0700

Glad to hear things are working!
The video is a fine idea. I'll post a link here if you produce it. If you could do a voiceover in Portugese, that would be even better. I'll post it on the documentation page. And on the front page.
About the 11111 - I don't know what you're asking.
About the request by ID, etc.... I don't know what specifically you are asking here. what you get back from IIRF depends on your rules. If there's a URL that is giving you surprising results, then ... tell me this:
  • What is the URL you are requesting?
  • What results do you see? - you can document this with the IIRF log
  • what results do you expect to see? - you need to describe this
  • And how is what you actually see different from what you expect to see? - again, a description
  • what rules are you using? - this is also evident in the log (the beginning of the log shows the rules IIRF has read in)

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ah, - I see.

The 11111 is the default value that is returned from the map lookup,  if no value is found in the map for that particular key.

Check the documentation on RewriteMap for more information .

The order of information in the map file is key....value.   So.... Looking up Claw-Hammer would give you 17682.   You had written it the other way around, which is wrong.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM
Ok I got it now.>

tks.. I'll make the video, then send it to you ok?

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 09:10:55 -0700

Ah, - I see.
The 11111 is the default value that is returned from the map lookup, if no value is found in the map for that particular key.
Check the documentation on RewriteMap for more information .
The order of information in the map file is key....value. So.... Looking up Claw-Hammer would give you 17682. You had written it the other way around, which is wrong.

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM

sure thing - send me a link (just like before) and I can upload it to youtube, and insert a link to it here.

or, if you wanna upload it to youtube (or your favorite free video site) using your userID, that would be ok too.  I'll just insert the link to it, here on the codeplex site.

whichever you prefer.