How can I get this to work with IIS6

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I have been battling with this for weeks now and I can't solve it.

It seems to work fine on IIS7 for me but our live servers are still using iis6.

All I want to this is this:

if a user goes to I want this url to be rewritten to a word press information page such as

I have read the material on this and I can't get it to work. The rules that I have gotten close to working are all resulting in 404 error messages.

On IIS7 i was able to say

RewriteEngine ON

RewriteFilterPriority HIGH
RewriteRule  ^/cart

this works fine and any url for my site ending in cart displays the BBC's website but for some reason this doesn't work for me in IIS6 (i get the 404 message)

I appreciate any help or advice that you may have.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

We have this successfully running on IIS6, so I will try and help as much as possible.

Do you have the filter installed and running? ie. does it do *anything*?

Have you set up your site specific IIRF.ini file with your rules in? If so, what rules are you trying to run?

The rewrite you're trying to do looks really straightforward, so I can't see why there should be any issues with it.

Also, make sure you understand the difference between RewriteRule and RedirectRule.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hi Shonk,

Thats for your message. We have had it running for quite a while for redirects which work fine. From doing more research I thought we would have to wait to upgrade to IIS7 as it seemsed to be tied to ARR which is an IIS7 module but maybe I am mistaken.

We have it installed and I have added it under the isapi filters on the website level for our main site. When I try to redirect to an external site, all I get is 404 messages. When i try to rewrite to a different section of our site, it does nothing, it just shows the page mentioned in the URL. We have the IIRF.ini file in the root directory of our website and the iirf.dll is located in c/program files/ etc...

Could you forward me on a sample rule that works for you?

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Hi Paul,

Maybe it would be better if you sent over specifically what you're trying to accomplish and I'll see if I can help you figure out a rule that will work.

If you're redirecting, have you combined a RewriteCond with a RedirectRule? (doing this from memory, so hope it's correct) :)