Installing on IIS7

Topics: User Forum
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Hey I love IIRF and have been using it sucessfully on IIS6.0.  
However i can not get it to work under IIS7.0 whatsoever, The readme mentions the author having installed and tested it in 7 but now how..

Does anyone run IIRF on IIS 7 and would like to fill me in on how to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!
Dec 1, 2008 at 3:38 AM
It works the same as usual.
I haven't tested it extensively on IIS7, but I know a bunch of people run it on IIS7 under load.

To configure it, go to the IIS Manager.   This is the MMC panel.
If you would like to configure IIRF to be a "global filter" (applies to all websites and vdirs), then, select the machine or server name on the left-hand side tree. This should be the top-most (root) node in the tree. 
 On the center-right panel side of the MMC window you should see a set of icons.  One of them is labeled "ISAPI Filters".  Double click it.
On the far right hand side you should see the "Action Pane" for the MMC window.  The top-most clickable item reads "Add...". Click it.

You get a simple dialog with a box for filter name and a box for the path to the Filter DLL.
Type in "IIRF" for the filter name, and the full path for the DLL, eg, c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\IIRF\IsapiRewrite4.dll .
Note: you must allow IUSR read + execute access to this path. 

Be sure to place your ini file in the same directory.
Click OK.

The filter is installed.

If you want IIRF to be a site specific filter, you follow the same steps as above, except for the first one. Rather than selecting the top-most node in the left-hand-side tree, navigate through the tree to select the appropriate website.  Again you will see the Icons on the center-left panel fo the MMC Window.  Select the "ISAPI Filters"  icon, and continue as above.

Good luck .

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:44 AM
Hey Cheeso thanks for the reponse :)

Thats actually what i had done but it didnt seem to work, maybe this is a IIS7 on vista vs windows 2008 thing? Again no problems on my IIS 6.0/windows 2000 systems.

Will keep on playing some more with getting it to work on IIS7 windows 2008.
Dec 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM
I think something is blocking IIRF from working. Testing the .ini with the supplied test .exe's holds no suprises.
Dec 3, 2008 at 4:15 AM
what is the symptom?  Do you see a happy status in IIS Mgr for the filter?
Do you see any log file? 
etc etc

you say "I cannot get it to work" but what are the symptoms exactly?
Also can I suggest you troubleshoot the ISAPI install according to the hint in the readme:

See this link for help on troubleshooting:

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:16 AM
Hey Cheeso,

Sorry i hadn't put up a follow up yesterday already (end of the shift catching train is my excuse).

I had consulted the Windows Event Log as soon as i noticed it wasn't working. It didnt pull up any errors however.

It wasn't untill i gave up on IIRF to try out the ModRewrite Module, recently released by Microsoft, a second time that that installer notified me it was still installed. I had done a re-installation of IIS and asumed that it would also uninstal the ModRewriteModule. Uninstalling that cleared the way for IIRF to start working like a charm. I am still not sure what caused IIRF to not work the first time round which promted me to install ModRewriteModule the first time round.

I can now fully concur that IIRF works on IIS7 on Windows 2008.
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Ahhh, terrific.  Glad to hear it.
Jan 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM
Another thing to note is if you are running the 32 bit version of the .dll on IIS 7 with 64 bit, you need to go to
your application pool the site is running in, go to advanced properties, and set allow 32 bit
applications to run to true.

This was stopping me from getting the .dll to work.
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Thanks for posting that up neo302 i'm just about to role out some new 64bit 2008 machines so you saved me a couple of hours of cursing :)
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM
Hi guys, thanks for these important comments on IS 7.

Pls allow me a couple of questions:
1. Mpdreams,  neo32, Cheeso- using IIRF has clear advantages on IIS6. Why would you prefer it over IIS7's "internal" ModRewrite Module? I need to make this decision now as we enter IIS7 Win2008 machines. 
2. I am very interested to find out if IIRF can serve an array of servers and not a single machine (e.g using the ISAPI headers on an IIS DMZ server to route between other machines on the LAN).

Would very much appreciate your advice, thanks, Jonas.