Number of rules supported by Ionic Rewriter?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM
I am trying to stress the ionic rewriter as I currently dont have the figures of how many rules will my team have.

I know I can use regex but I want to stress is without using regex.

My file has rules which will not match the incoming request and I am testing it with 25K 250K and 500K rules so that the whole file is iterated at the first hit. For 25K it actually loads the page but I see a huge performance hit and for all other values it timesout.

Anyone has any experience with stressing it... what limits did you try to hit and how did it hit the performance. Is there a way to improve performance.

Thanks in Advance
-A
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM
25,000 rules seems really high for a single web server.

I would guess you have quite a bit of redundancy in there.  You said you want to "stress it" but I am not clear what you are trying to do.    If you just want to see the filter break, I'm sure you can do it. 

Do you have a particular business requirement, though, for the large number of rules?

It may be appropriate for me to insert a hard limit to the number of rules, in the filter, in order to meet some minimum performance characteristics. 
But I don't know what that limit might be.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah we have a business requirement for a large number of rule and by large I mean large (>25000) I know its bizarre to have such a big rules file and I am pushing on to using regex and cutting down the rules.

The rules that are fetched once are cached on our end and hence re-reading of the rules file is not required most of the times. So i was interested in looking into how much time does it take to load the rules file for the first time. I think that the hard limit of the number of rules will be great with the engine and this will help me in justifying my concern to the business too :)

Thanks
A

To: abhinav.ag@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:32:54 -0800
Subject: Re: Number of rules supported by Ionic Rewriter? [IIRF:40412]

.ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {border-top:1px solid #ccc;color:gray;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} .ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {color:gray;border-top:1px solid #ccc;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} From: Cheeso
25,000 rules seems really high for a single web server.

I would guess you have quite a bit of redundancy in there. You said you want to "stress it" but I am not clear what you are trying to do. If you just want to see the filter break, I'm sure you can do it.

Do you have a particular business requirement, though, for the large number of rules?

It may be appropriate for me to insert a hard limit to the number of rules, in the filter, in order to meet some minimum performance characteristics.
But I don't know what that limit might be.

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (IIRF@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email IIRF@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2008 at 4:12 AM
If you look at the log file, there is a timestamp associated to each log statement.  You will be able to see the time the filter started, as well as the time the filter finished reading the ini file.
With 25000 rules, a large portion of the time may be spent logging.
So.... fiddle with LogLevel settings to see if that significantly changes the timing.