proxypass does not passthrough POST variables

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Hi,

I encountered a problem where I was using proxypass to rewrite. It did not passthrough the form POST variables values, but it has no problem with GET variables. Not sure if something is amiss.

My settings are:

RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} ^(www\.)?rahab\.ushop\.com$   [I]
ProxyPass ^/(.*)$     http://ushop.com/rahab/$1

Appreciate if anyone can help. Thx

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Correct.  POST is not (yet?) supported by IIRF.

It's an open request.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Any plan when POST feature will be supported?

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM

No estimate.

I've never prioritized it because the workitem never got many votes.  From time to time people ask about it, but it's not a consistent thing.

Not so far, anyway.

I'll have to think about it.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I'm not sure I ever saw the question being asked, but I'd like to put a vote towards having POST inplemented.

Great piece of kit Cheeso, thanks!

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Yeah, POST feature is important as most forms uses POST instead of GET especially login forms. It would be make your product incredibly useful if POST is implemented.

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM

definitely vote up that request, then:  http://iirf.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10053

I'll have to look into it.

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I remember looking into supporting POST for ProxyPass,  and concluding that it was a lot of work.  I had forgotten that I'd done the research.

The reason it's a lot of work is that ISAPI Filters cannot get POST data.  (not completely true.  ISAPI  filters CAN get POST data if they force IIS into IIS5 compat mode.  This means you lose Application Pools, and that is completely unacceptable. So in a practical sense, ISAPI filters cannot get POST data)

That ISAPI Filters can't get POST data is a result of the design of the ISAPI filter model.  The post data is just not available to a filter.  POST Data IS available to an ISAPI Extension.  If I wanted to support POST in ProxyPass, I'd have to extend IIRF to also be an ISAPI Extension, What would that mean?

• a bunch of new code managing the ISAPI Extension lifecycle
  • new installation instructions required only if you use ProxyPass with POST data

It's a non-trivial amount of work.   That's why I haven't built POST capability into IIRF's ProxyPass feature.  yet?

With Windows Server 2008 and IIS7, and the Microsoft-supplied modules, it seems like the need for IIRF should shrink over time. So I have hesitated to commit to big new investments in it, to be honest. 

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM

hello,

I have a rails app running on IIS ( intranet) , I use proxypass IIRf.

Unfortunately, all my  (rjs) ajax, no longer work because they are all in POST request. damage

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Ok, all of you who are interested in PRoxyPass with POST data, please try out the build on the workitem

http://iirf.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=25249

Let me know if it works for you.