IIS Crash on install

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:29 PM
As soon as I add the isapi filter through the mmc, IIS crashes. stop/start IIS has no effect, rebooting has no effect. The event log entry is:

Faulting application inetinfo.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module IsapiRewrite4.dll, version, fault address 0x0006180e.

This is WinXP SP2 on my dev machine.
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:07 PM

i've had a similar experience.

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.3959, faulting module IsapiRewrite4.dll, version, fault address 0x0006180e.

On windows server 2003 SP2

My configurationis as follows:

root folders

DLL & .ini Paths
d:/inetpub/wwwroot/_ISAPI filters/www.website1.co.uk/IsapiRewrite4.dll
d:/inetpub/wwwroot/_ISAPI filters/www.website2.co.uk/IsapiRewrite4.dll

The .dll have been registered for the respective sites in IIS and both of the .dll instances the have been added to the 'Allowed' web service extensions.

www.website1.co.uk has ran without any issues for the last few days. Although we are not activley using the URL rewriter yet there have been no ill effects of having it installed. In the ISAPI property page on IIS it shows with a green status arrow, the filter name and priority 'Low'

www.website2.co.uk had the filter added this morning and almost straight away the above error appeared in the event logs. It shows in the ISAPI property page as Unknown for the status etc. and the site stops responding. Removing the ISAPI filter and restarting IIS corrects the problem.

I'd appreciate any help you can give with this, we're keen to get this running on our live servers.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Just to update, further investigation this afternoon leads me to believe it's related to www.website2.co.uk not having a .ini file. I'd planned to install the component ready for use on monday morning once we'd finished testing the regexp on the test server.

I'll try thing on the live server again on monday and update my findings.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:40 PM

I've confirmed my suspicions, adding in an .ini file has stopped these problems.

hope this has been of some help

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.