Redirect all sites

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Edited Mar 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I have an IIS 6 server with about 100 domains (sites) on it. From time to time, I need to do server maintenance, and would like to redirect every site on the server to a "Temporarily Down" location. I would like the "down" location, as well as a "test url" kept open on the server - so they would not redirect.

I am thinking this should be possible with the global config file (I am using ver 2 which also has the site individual configs), but I'm not sure how to approach it.

1: Would the global file be the correct approach (rather than writing 100 - 150 individual files)?
2: Can you give me any tips/suggestions.

Here is an example of what I am thinking:

Main Server =  (which also has,,,, etc.... etc....)
Down Domain =
Test Domain (where I can test new ASP/PHP and Database configs) =

- I need every request, to every site on the server to redirect to "". (including any sub directories, files, etc...)
- Obviously, "" can't be affected by the redirect.
- I need every request to "" to also allowed so I can properly test the configurations changes.
- Sites are spread over multiple IP addresses, not confined to just one.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I think I understand what you want, and I think IIRF is not the right tool for that job.

you should just take down the websites that are being worked on, and specify a custom 404 page for such requests.

This might help:

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Hmmm - I was hoping I could do it easier than taking 100+ sites offline. 
This is not for working on 1 or 2 websites, it is when server maintenance needs to be done, and all sites need to come down.

I appreciate your time, and will look closer at the thread you mentioned.