CPU jumps to 100% and stays.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 16, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Hi there,

Finally got the system running and the regular expressions working, but I seem to be experiencing further problems...

Regardless of the contents of the ini file (be it blank, contain rules which don't apply, or contains rules that do apply), upon requesting a url from a site that uses the rewrite, my CPU jumps to 100%, and stays there, making the server very slow!

The only way i can get it to stop (go back to normal levels), is to restart IIS, or restart the server - which obviously isn't acceptable in a live website environment!

I've tried searching the forum, and issue tracker (and google!), but can't seem to find an explanation/solution anywhere.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Do you have IIRF logging turned on? What do the logs tell you?
It is possible to construct degenerate Regular Expressions that take a very very long time to run, effectively they run endlessly. That could be one reason.

There are lots of other possibilities, too.
the logs would tell us more.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM
I don't recall anything being saved in the logs, but I might give it another go and see what happens.

However, it being the result of a bad regex seems unlikely, as my ini file was blank, and therefore no regex lines to parse.

Will give it a go when i get the chance, and let you know.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:54 PM
There's a new release today. If you get a chance, try it with that.