Can it better support Chinese? Please help me!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Can it  better support Chinese? I know it had a good support for encoding the Chinese. But you know, encoded in Chinese is not easy to understand.

Can it directly rewrite the url contains the Chinese?

eg.         --I hope iirf not only rewrite this url中文                                         --I also hope it can support such a url rewrite

Can iirf do it?

Thank you!

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM

No, IIRF does not support Unicode at this time.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM

When will it support? Can you tell me an exact time.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Let me be more clear.

I have not committed to supporting Unicode in IIRF.   I have received a few requests over the years for Unicode support, but I haven't gotten a clear statement of requirements, and I have never received an offer to assist in developing or testing (or approviing) unicode support in IIRF.

My estimate is that it's a big job, and I don't understand exactly what would be required.  Based on that, I have not committed to providing unicode support in IIRF.

Therefore, there is no estimate for when IIRF will support Unicode.

May 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Can you tell me, what specific needs you need to know? How should I help you?

May 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

When I said earlier, that I don't understand exactly what would be required, what I meant is, I didn't have a clear understanding of the impact on the IIRF codebase, implied by including support for Unicode.   I've thought about this a little, and I think I understand better now what would be required and the impact it would imply. And my conclusion is, it would be a very big job.  At this point, it's not so much information that I lack.  It's the ability to undertake all of the work.

• There's a portion of the code that is dedicated to reading configuration files. The ini files, the map files.  For unicode, all the file IO and string handling would change.  Verifying that these changes are correct, and does not break any of the existing behavior would involve a heavy testing burden. 
  • I'd need to recompile the PCRE library to support UTF-8.  I'd need to verify that this changed library doesn't disrupt the existing regular expression handling.
  • The command-line tools won't properly display unicode strings.  They'd need to be transformed into GUI tools.
  • I'd need to  update the documentation to describe all the contingencies - what happens with a UTF-8 ini file, what happens if the ini file is UTF-16? What about other encodings?  

I can't figure a way that any of that work would get done, except by a person who is very familiar with the IIRF codebase.  So far, I think there's just one person that has the expertise. Me.

If I commit to doing unicode, then I'd have to stop work on all other updates to IIRF.  I'd guess it would take 3 months of coding and test.

May 3, 2010 at 4:09 AM

My God. Too bad.

May 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM

What's God got to do with it?

May 4, 2010 at 5:19 AM

The God will kill me!