Intermittent problem

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Edited May 26, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Here is my setup:

Win 2003 Server
IIS 6.0
I have 2 sites and each site has it's own application pool.
Iirf.ddl and Iirf.ini files are in the root of each site with correct permissions
Filters for both sites are exactly the same since one site production and other live version.

The rules seams to be working just fine, issue is I would click on a link and it works and then in 5 seconds same link it doesn't.  I looked at the iirf log file and it's not showing any errors or events for the link that didn't work.  Almost as if it's not detecting it. 

Could you please help me analyze the problem?

May 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hmm, I'll see if I can help.  First, what do you mean by "it works, and then it doesn't"?  What does "it works" mean?  and what does "it doesn't work" mean? 

It would help to examine the HTTP communications traffic.  You can do that with Fiddler.  I would start there, and compare the "it works" situation to the "it doesn't work" situation.

You can also check the IIS log. In some cases IIS will get the request, but IIRF will not. This will happen if IIRF is configured for a particular site, rather than the entire server, and IIS decides that the incoming request will not be sent to  a particular site.

May 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

here is the sample rule: RewriteRule ^/media_gallery/Album/([^/]+) /media_gallery/Album.cfm?ID=$1 [I]

So I go to /media_gallery/Album/9/Baby_Baskets_for_Low-Income_Families/ and rewrites it as /media_gallery/Album.cfm?ID=5

Then I try refreshing that page and brings up 404 page not found.

I'll see what Fiddler and IIS log says and let you know.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I finally figured out why is IIRF not working.  It's all due to IIS log files.  I never realized that IIRF requires these, is this something I missed or is it a bug?

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I've been away, unexpectedly.  I expect to be able to connect only intermittently, for a while.

I don't know what you mean by "requiring IIS log files".  IIRF doesn't require IIS log files, as far as I know. Not sure what you mean, or where you got the idea.

maybe you could clarify.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM

This has happened to me of multiple sites, if I disable site logging IIRF  starts to fail.  95% of the time I get page not found and every once in a while IIRF will catch a request.  I've tested this theory very well and I am positive that this is the case.  When this happens IIRF does not log anything, as if requests are not even reaching it.  I can give you more details if you tell me what are you looking for. 

At first I though that the sites in IIS are getting corrupted somehow so I started recreating them.  As soon as I did that IIRF would start working again, until I saw a pattern where I would disable site logging and IIRF stops working.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.