Crashing IIS 6.0?

Topics: User Forum
Sep 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Since installing ISAPI Rewrite, IIS has started crashing approximately once an hour. Here's what shows up in the event logs right before each crash:

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process id was '1488'. The data field contains the error number. 

Anyone have this problem? Are there permission issues that we need to address?

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:24 AM
ISAPI Rewrite? Or do you mean IIRF? This is a discussion forum for IIRF. I don't know anything about ISAPI Rewrite. The error message you described is a generic one. It indicates that the worker process has crashed. This can occur for any number of reasons. IIRF is set up to dump a stack trace in the IIRF logfile, if the cause of the problem is IIRF. Look there. If that doesn't help, and the pro lem is as reproducible as you say it is, then you can connect to w3wp.exe in a debugger and diagnose the crash that way. Good luck.
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Hi Chesso,

Thanks for your reply. I was referring to IIRF - just called it ISAPI Rewrite based on the title of the forum. The latest log doesn't show anything, but it was set at Level 2. I've changed it to a Level 4 and will post the results when it happens again. I thought we had the problem solved last night by adding Read permissions for IIS_WPG on IIRF.ini, but it died again.  :(

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Ok, I'll look for your Iirf logfile if you post it. A-ok with the iirf vs ISAPI Rewrite thing. ISAPI Rewrite is the name of a commercial product that does URL rewriting. I wanted to make sure you wer in the right place.