IIS6, no green arrow, nothing in logs, no status page

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Hi there,

I've had a quick look around but nobody seems to be in quite the same level of nothing happeningness as me.

Basically, I installed the rewrite filter on my IIS6 and there was no error. I've set the privileges on the dll for the user my site is running under. I've added the IIRF.ini file to the root of my website with a rule in it. I've tried accessing a page that should fire off the rule and the page isn't found. And throughout all this I've no green arrow appearing beside the isapi filter.

Just to further confuse me, there's nothing in the events application log (aside from mention of the successful installation of the filter), nothing whatsoever has been written into the rewritelog folder I set up and pointed the ini file to, and I don't seem to have this mysterious http://localhost/iirfStatus page anywhere (I'm presuming this was supposed to be set up via the installer since I couldn't find any documentation on setting it up manually).

Any idea where I can start looking to find any clue as to what I need to fix?

Thanks for you time guys- anything you can suggest is more than welcome,

benj.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Yes - I suggest checking the Windows Event Log.  How to do it and what to look for, is listed on the Verifying and Troubleshooting Installation page, in the IIRF documentation.

If that doesn't help.... start over, and follow each step carefully.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for your speedy reply- much appreciated especially as it looks like you get a lot of these.

Unfortunately, I've checked the event log a few times now and there's just no errors whatsoever from W3SVC or W3SVC-WP... well, nothing since about 3 weeks ago anyway (long before I started installing this filter).

I'll try starting over with the manual approach listed on the site again. Meanwhile, is there any documentation on setting up the status page? It strikes me, this might help debug the problem but I see nothing in the manual installation guide explaining how to set this up.

Cheers,
benj.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Right... I've just carefully stepped through the entire manual installation on IIS6 instructions, along the way setting read (and read & execute) privileges on any users I could see might be involved in the whole process (that's the default IIS user, the NetworkService user, the actual user the site is set to run under, plus the user the site's application pool uses). Irritatingly, I still have no green arrow against the filter, nor anything in the windows error logs under Application.

The only step of the manual installation I couldn't do was the allowing the IIRF dll to run, because Ionic Rewriter didn't appear in the list of Web Service Extensions.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated right now,

benj.