Server-side forwarding / URL re-writing (Sharepoint 2007)

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 5, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Hi Dino,

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem and I think your IIRF may be the answer. Would you please help me by answering this question?

I am building a Sharepoint (MOSS 2007) internet website. The client wants the URL to be re-written, like this:

1. website is at

2. visitor enters

3. client wants the visitor to arrive at but have remain in the browsers address bar

I believe this is server-side forwarding, or re-writing (are they the same thing?)

I've found the text, below, in the IIRF documentation. Does this mean that IIRF cannot help me with this problem? If it can help me, do you have any rules I could try? If it cannot help me, do you have any suggestions? I can see you have a lot of experience in this area.

Is your July 15 post, here the answer to my problem?

Either way, many thanks for your valuable contribution to the community!

Apache's mod_rewrite includes the ability to specify local or remote forwarding. This is specified with an optional, third argument to the RewriteRule directive in the .properties or .htaccess file. This feature of Apache mod_rewrite is not supported by Ionic's ISAPI rewrite filter.

IIRF does not do forward or reverse request proxying, like Apache's mod_proxy.

Unlike the combination of Apache's mod_rewrite and mod_proxy, IIRF is a simple and basic rewriting filter. Once a request is received within an IIS, IIRF can change the request to "something else", but the request stays on the box, and within the given IIS server on the box. Redirects can be forwarded off the box, but these forward actions are not transparent - they are client-side redirects. See the doc for the RedirectRule directive above for more details.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Hey, thanks for using the forums.

I'm not completely certain of what's required here, but there are some options.

1. you could use DNS name aliases to get mysite1 to be the same as mysite2.  In this case mysite1 and mysite2 refer to the same server.  Maybe that is not exactly what you want.
  2. a Reverse HTTP Proxy can provide a mechanism wherre the stands between the browser and, and acts as an active pass-through.  In this case mysite1 and mysite2 are different servers.  IIRF does Reverse proxy this in v2.0.

I'd suggest you read up on HTTP Proxies and DNS aliases, and then also find out in more detail exactly what the client is thinking.  Maybe you already know and haven't included all that detail here. You can also download IIRF V2.0, install it, and try out the proxy capability to learn about it, and also see if it does what you want.

good luck!

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly look into HTTP proxies and DNS aliases!