Installation for Multiple Sites

Topics: User Forum
Nov 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I just have a couple of quick questions about installing this on multiple sites, each with it's own configuration.

Just to note; I am installing this on Windows 2003 (IIS6). I have read the installation docs, and the short page titled "Running IIRF on Multiple Web Sites". This is very clear so I don't suspect I should have any problems. Just a couple questions so I know how it "should" react :)

1. Is it better for me to create a folder such as "iirf" in root, then Rename each "DLL & INI" to match the site.

EG:
    D:/iirf/mysite.dll
    D:/iirf/mysite.ini
    D:/iirf/yoursite.dll
    D:/iirf/yoursite.ini

or would it be better to use a folder structure and keep the names of the DLL / INI files throughout.

D:/iirf/mysite/IsapiRewrite4.dll
    D:/iirf/mysite/IsapiRewrite4.ini
    D:/iirf/yoursite/IsapiRewrite4.dll
    D:/iirf/yoursite/IsapiRewrite4.ini

or does it matter?
  2. Related to the first question - I know the instructions say not to install the DLL/INI where the web pages are located as it will cause problems. But how about under public site root?
    Example Folder Structure:
    /sites/domainname/
    sites/domainname/public_html/  (< location of web files)
    sites/domainname/logs/  (< location of parsed web log files)
    sites/domainname/iirf/    (< Can it go here?)
  3. Do I need to set the permissions for each of these files in the "Web Service Extensions". For example: If I have 20 different instances of the DLL, I need to set the permissions for all 20 locations?
  4. Does it hinder server performance if I have a lot of these instances or is the footprint small enough it doesn't matter?
  5. Finally - is there any plans to create a version that loads a Common DLL, but reads from an INI specific to the site. Or is this not possible because the INI would have to live with the web pages (like a htaccess file does)? Just curious!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:02 PM
  1. If you are installing on multiple sites, I suggest you use IIRF v2.0.  It has much better support for that.  Using v2.0, there is no need to install the DLL multiple times.  Just install it once, server-wide.
  2. do not install the DLL+ini under the public doc root.  I suggest c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\IIRF (Create this directory).  If not that, then d:\IIRF or something similar, but you will have to make sure IIS has permissions to load DLLs from that directory. Check the docs for mroe info.
  3. DO NOT install 20 instances.  Just use v2.0 of IIRF - much simpler.
  4. yes - it will slow down the server if you configure 20 instances.  That's why you should use IIRF v2.0.
  5. YES, v2.0 does what you describe. Read the v2.0 docs.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I apologize. I noticed version 2 was available for download, but I must have been reading the version 1 documentation online. Version two certainly looks like it is what I need, so I will download that and read the documents carefully. Thanks for the prompt reply and steering me in the correct direction.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:24 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Are your documents properly updated. I believe I was certainly reading the "Installation" and "Running from Multiple Websites" info from Version 2. 

Here is what your version 2 document says for "Running from Multiple Websites". 

Running IIRF on Multiple Web sites on the same IIS Server.

On Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008, if you have multiple web sites, you may want IIRF on each web site independently. The alternative is to run IIRF on all Web sites, but because you may want to have independent configuration files for each web site, you can also choose to configure the ISAPI filter independently for each web site.

To install IIRF separately on multiple web sites, install the DLL and .ini file in separate places for each web site. This allows you to configure the ISAPI filter separately for each website. Obviously, the .ini files may be different for each installation. 

----------------------------

As you can see - since the docs say I must install a separate instance for each website, that is why I came to ask all those questions. If this can be simplified, please direct me to the updated documentation.  I have verified that this is the same on the website (under version 2) and in the help file included with a Version 2 download.

Please advise - thanks!

< UPDATE ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER POST >

I did find what you are referring to in the "configuring IIRF" section of the documentation which talks about a Global & Site Specific INI file.  I can work with that, but you might want to consider updating the piece I included above. It's seems out-dated and is why I figured it worked differently.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM
codamedia wrote:

Running IIRF on Multiple Web sites on the same IIS Server.

On Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008, if you have multiple web sites, you may want IIRF on each web site independently. The alternative is to run IIRF on all Web sites, but because you may want to have independent configuration files for each web site, you can also choose to configure the ISAPI filter independently for each web site.

To install IIRF separately on multiple web sites, install the DLL and .ini file in separate places for each web site. This allows you to configure the ISAPI filter separately for each website. Obviously, the .ini files may be different for each installation. 

Yes, you're absolutely correct - that statement is out-of-date. Thank you, first, for pointing it out, and second, for actually reading the documentation.

I'll fix that right now.