The 2.0 release is stabilized.
Latest update: May 2010. (Release 22.214.171.124)
The major new feature for 2.0 is workitem 8669, which changes the way IIRF installs and works. Now, with a single install of the filter, every website and every web application in IIS can have its own ini file. You need to install the filter DLL only once
. This makes it much much nicer for use in high volume web servers with many sites.
Other new features:
- URL Decoding, before pattern match.
- use of the Windows Event Log for some serious events.
- IIRF can provide a status report on itself via HTTP GET
- RewriteEngine directive to easily turn rewriting on or off.
- A lovely help file in .chm format
- Better diagnostics
IIRF is still built in C, still simple and fast. It's the same codebase, modified to be multi-site aware. It still relies on PCRE for regular expression support.
It is now much more robust for multi-thread operation on multi-site high volume servers. Note: previously I had advvertised IIRF v2.0 as a functional reverse proxy. This is not correct. I've found some deficiencies in the implementation in v2.0, to the extent that it would not be accurate to say that IIRF v2.0 can act as a reverse proxy. I've made fixes in the IIRF v2.1 release for this feature. If you are particulary interested in reverse (transparent) proxy capability, see the v2.1 release.
These are the downloads available:
- IonicIsapiRewriter-2.0-src.zip - The source code. It includes the C source code for the filter and the utilities like the TestDriver.exe program. This zip also includes a makefile that will build the filter. You will need the Windows SDK and the Microsoft C/C++ compiler in order to build this filter. Download this if you want to hack the code, modify it, examine it, and so on. You do not need this download if you want to only USE the filter.
- IonicIsapiRewriter-2.0-Release-bin.zip - This is the binary release. It includes the compiled DLL; the CHM file, which contains all the documentation; and the various utility programs like the TestDriver.exe and the test ini files. Download this if you want to use IIRF in your own websites.
- IonicIsapiRewriter-2.0-Debug-bin.zip - This is the binary release, built with debug symbols. It includes the compiled DLL; the PDB files, the CHM file, which contains all the documentation; and the various utility programs like the TestDriver.exe and the test ini files. Download this if you want to use IIRF in your own websites, and you think you might need to debug IIRF.
- iirf-mode.el - a editing mode for emacs, to edit IIRF.ini files. It provides syntax highlighting for IIRF directives.
If you find IIRF useful, please consider donating
. IIRF is still free, no-fee, and open-source, but I am now accepting donations
on behalf of my favorite charity. The concept is called "DonationWare".